Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Five College Art Mug





11 oz ceramic mug

I wanted to incorporate the 3 distinguishing features of the area:  the five colleges (Mt. Holyoke, Smith, Hampshire, Amherst, UMass), the Connecticut River (including the Oxbow) and the Holyoke Range.  I placed the colleges in their approximate locations along the river.
 Here is a full view of the image.

The buildings featured are:
Mary Lyon Hall, Mt. Holyoke College
Lyman Conservatory, Smith College
The Yurt, Hapshire College (home of the on campus radio station)
Johnson Chapel, Amherst College
W.E.B. Du Bois Library & Old Chapel, UMASS

If you are interested in additional Amherst sites, please visit the rest of my blog.  I also have several other art mugs:  The Emily Dickinson Art Mug and The Amherst College Art Mug.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! Do you have prints of this or just the mugs? This would be a great holiday gift.

    Thanks!
    Melissa
    melissaqm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, too! Any chance this could be available in a travel mug? It would be perfect for bringing my coffee to class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the great feedback. I am currently looking into having prints and cards made. I hadn't thought of a travel mug, but great idea! Please check back. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder I didn't recognize Hampshire, it looks like there's a new building representing it. Looks like a fun mug to get someday when I have the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, I thought everyone would recognize The Yurt! :) The Yurt at Hampshire College, constructed in 1998, houses the college's radio station...thought it was such a unique building - my reason for choosing it to represent Hampshire College on the mug. Apologies to any Hampshire student/alum who doesn't agree. please let me know which building you would like to see in its place. all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lana,

    I was delighted to come across your collections. I loved the mug as soon as I saw it and had to order it for my daughter. She is an MHC 2005 grad and I'm sure she'll love it! I may even order a few more for my sister-in-law, who is a Prof at Amherst!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognized the Yurt. Nice colors on the mug!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yurt. So much love. People might no recognize it without mad drunk kids running around it.

    ReplyDelete